<$BlogRSDUrl$>
ranDOMinion
where ranDOMness is key...

Thursday, June 10, 2004
I ask myself why we choose to do the things we do.

Well, the foremost answer, which must be undeniable, is because without thought, an action does not exist. So to say that we choose because we think may be a safe saying.

But I'm confused then how people can say they are born homosexual. Or that they said something without thinking. Or how someone would call themselves braindead (even if they're joking, their opinion and point of view must pertain to some level of truth). Didn't all of these people think about things before they did them?

I have been told by many that sometimes I overthink. That sometimes, I choose to think, rather than to do. Is it that my limbs are disconnected from my brain? That I have some sort of a Liberal Government attempting to pass resolutions that keep getting sent around the senate? These thoughts of mine often, too often, go nowhere.

I spent the last hour sitting in my couch thinking. Yes, the red one in my bedroom. I thought about many things, in a way for which a ThinkTank for a crisis prevention group would pay good money. I replayed past scenarios, tried to evaluate my actions, others' actions, and come to conclusions about their personalities, maybe even predict future scenarios and to predict their reactions to certain situations. Before I know it, I've played out my whole life in front of me, dictated not by my actions, but by the predicted actions of others.

So then, if people do what they think, what action should accompany these thoughts? Perhaps the action to overthinking is to get off the couch (usually a cliché tacked to NOT thinking) and do something about any of it. Perhaps the action to overthinking is to go out into the world and test the played scenarios. Perhaps the action to overthinking is one of no action at all.

Instead of every thought being accompanied by an action, the overthink is a collection of thoughts never to be acted upon. One then must wonder, is there no action because there is no plausible preferred action, or is it because he is most comfortable doing nothing?

The overthinking cycle...a glimpse of it right there.

---

An epiphany has struck me, moments after publishing the post. I wonder if the perfect cure to overthinking is to never think at all. But then again, some would say "It is better to have thought and acted than to have never thought at all". If one thought leads to another, don't have the first one. Then maybe you won't ask stupid questions like "What's there to know?"
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home