<$BlogRSDUrl$>
ranDOMinion
where ranDOMness is key...

"Why are we friends?"

Monday, July 26, 2004
I was online with a bud the other night, and after insulting him, subsequently laughing, he asked me "Why are we friends?"

What a profound question. I surely couldn't answer him then, right on the spot. But I will attempt to do so now.

The truth is we are friends by trial. Sure, we used to play CS together. Sure, we used to be the monkeys in the back row who were smarter, quicker and cockier than everyone else, but too shy to flaunt any of it. Sure, we grew up together, going to elementary school together. Sure, we had our fights, even hated each other for nearly five years (I slashed the bridge of his foot playing hockey once, and he cried haha).

But even now, we fling crap at each other so much, it is a wonder why we are friends. We go to different schools, live in different cities, believe different doctrines (this guy's atheist). We argue, bitch and whine like an old married couple. If there is ever an argument to be found (most of you would tell me there is always an argument to be found in my mouth), he and I will debate it. We very seldom see things eye to eye.

But maybe that is what makes the friendship fun. We are constantly challenging each other. Always gotta be sharp, always gotta be on the toes.

And the insulting--what a level of comfort we have. We laugh at ourselves when we are insulted. We work off of each other to achieve ultima-insults, only to use them against each other. Laughing the whole time.

We have mellow times too. Times where nothing needs to be said and we can peacefully co-exist. Well, I seem to think so. He's always complaining about silences being awkward, but I don't think he understands that term very well. And we would hereby start arguing...

It's a great thought knowing that he'll probably be my friend for a very long time. If not forever (eww, cliché). Something stable to look forward to in this rocky world of uncertainties.

Now, if I could only convert the bugger...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home