<$BlogRSDUrl$>
ranDOMinion
where ranDOMness is key...

Growing Old

Wednesday, October 13, 2004
It has struck me; there are characteristics of an old man (not any in particular) that I would ever desire to have. I would like to discuss one.

I desire a quirk. One with meaning, and purposefulness behind it. One driven by friendship and loyalty; discipline and passion. A quirk that needs no explination, carrying its own respect, but having the depth of the ocean of an issue to it.

I say, let me set up a chess board, and have it never taken down. Let there be a friendship so strong, and so loyal, that a letter could finish: "P.S. I'll have the chess board ready", or, "How 'bout a game or two?" The truth is, both parties would know its meaning.

Being an old man, surely, some strange woman that I'd be married to would one day, move it aside on its table for some flowers, or a pie, or some other rediculous old woman thing. And then I could be some crazy old fellow and get really upset about it.

Even so, I could blame being upset on comfort, or tradition, or lack of desire to change. "Its sat there for 40 years, why d'you gotta move it?"

But really, I would only be waiting for my friend. Ready, welcoming, wise and silent, to play a game of chess.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home