<$BlogRSDUrl$>
ranDOMinion
where ranDOMness is key...

Rejoice Weekend Starts Tomorrow

Saturday, November 13, 2004
Well.

Tomorrow marks Rejoice weekend trip number two. This trip features a 1.5 hour drive to ferry, two hour ferry ride, 2 hour drive from ferry to Comox, where we will arrive Saturday evening. We will play one service Sunday morning and return.

Given the state our group left in after practice Tuesday, I predict this weekend to be very trying, both musically and politically.

Chris is out with a busted thumb, and Dan is filling in. Even though Chris is our leader he has, much to his delight, been relieved of the responsibility of the weekend; he does not "have to go". Ofcourse, playing with a filler musician is always tough.

But also, there is a lot of tension between members and their leadership. I know that I spoke to Dave, and I am right with him. We should be fine. However I don't know if any of the rest of the team has made amends. Maybe the rest of the team still feels we've been so wronged?

I know that there is room for improvement, on both sides. As a musician, I need a leader to follow, and all the leaders were not taking authority and all the non-leaders were, while random outbursts of absolutist oligarchy came from the higher authority. Everything is unclear, and political agendas are "created"...Why is he doing this? Who gives him the right? And so on. On the other hand, I can see why Dave would be so hurt. I had no intention of doing any "mud slinging" or to have "secret meetings" but this is how my actions have been conveyed, and for that I am wrong and should be more careful.

But again, to our leader... Shouldn't he desire to be in the group? He's so overjoyed he doesn't have to go that it makes me sick he's in the group at all. Rejoice has been so good for me; last year taught me a lot. I love doing this, travelling, playing, and bonding with some friends. But Rejoice is a real chore this year. As much as I want to go on this trip and have a good time, I am reluctant to get excited, because I know exaclty how the weekend will go: laughs on the trip, super-meaningful conversations at billets, last-minute, seemingly rediculous orders from Dave, laughs on the way home, and then some idle chatter about what went wrong on the trip afterwards. I am apprehensive; he is just simply destructive.

When was Rejoice fun? When did they play outside of "the Set".? When did they go out more than 5 times all year? Rejoice can be so much more than it is, but people and their attitudes are getting in the way. What happened to worship? I want a fresh start.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home